Monday, March 1, 2010

Hello Orange County

Hi! I'm Sarah Swensson and I work for the Orange County Transportation Authority, commonly known as OCTA. I am the community outreach coordinator for the countywide railroad safety crossing public awareness program.

Rail safety awareness started out as a standard outreach program with targeted audiences, but it honestly has now become my passion and something I am dedicated to. I’m out in the community at festivals and fairs, making presentations to different groups and sharing rail safety messages with people who want to learn and make a difference, it’s really a great job!

Like most people, I can get impatient while waiting for a train to pass...it always seems to happen when I'm running late. But those few minutes of waiting at a railroad crossing can save my life. The gates are down for a reason and the warning signs and train horns really do help to keep us alive.

This is officially my first blog post ever =) and I’m super excited to use this as a communications tool to reach you and other audiences to discuss rail related topics – I’ve become a huge rail fan too so feel free to contact me if you want to just talk trains! Please don't think this is a one-way blog either. I welcome your comments and suggestions on how we can raise rail safety awareness in Orange County and save lives.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!

    Welcome to the community! I think that you will be very successful in your endeavor because you are clearly very passionate about rail safety and are off to a great start. Wishing you continued success in the future.

    Feel free to stop by my site and let me know what you think or if you have any content you would like to share so that we can make sure the people are aware of all of the risks - and - rewards of railroading.

    BTW - I emailed OL about 1 week ago and have yet to hear back from them. How long did it take for you to be contacted?

    Thanks.

    Joe
    http://www.chasingsteel.com
    http://www.facebook.com/chasingsteel
    http://www.twitter.com/chasingsteel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe!

    Sorry I haven't been responsive either, I am just now noticing your comment. Well...thanks for the warm welcome! Blogging is definitely a new adventure for me, so I'm learning the ropes.

    Southern California's OL coordinator and staff has been pretty responsive with me, but we work closley together on a regular basis. Is there something I can help you with?

    ReplyDelete